Monday 8 April 2013

Typeface of Mike Perry - Momo Xie

When listening to the Joseph Churchward podcast, I was most interested in the way in which he creates his typefaces through hand rendering .Then I looked at Mike Perry. Mike Perry has created hand-drawn type and illustrations. In addition to his commercial, non-profit, and art work, Perry has also published books extensively. He uses illustration typography from the modern day to explore how fonts can affect the way we accept information. I looked into it further and found it quite interesting that he uses both manual and digital design. I am interested in the ways that manual craft can extend into and contribute to a graphic work, it enhances originality and creative control.


This is one of his exhibitions. I like the way he contributes his own original typeface to an array of forms and shapes that overall plays with dynamics of colour, form and space. He has included transformations from 2D to 3D, and so I read this work as a sculpture as well. This makes the work more interesting as well as his use of composition, it attracts the audience more and is eye catching. As developments have been made over time and in more modern work, graphic design is extending beyond a restricted 2D creative space. Artists are expanding into works that utilize space and challenge the boundaries of what graphic design is limited to. The integration of manual and digital input is creating new possibilities. Personally, I feel creating to be a challenge and research allows me to extend the skills and processes that I use in design. Research helps me to stay creatively in tune with the movements of design and be able to respond, and establish my own design practise that is relevant to both time and my own perspective.







1 comment:

  1. Comment By Krupa Patel: I really find this designer interesting because I think that not enough manual typography is done now days. Kind of seems like a "lost art". I like the effect of the text in the first example above. It is like sculpture and design mixed in one.
    I think technology has taken over and i feel that it is important to go back to a simpler time when everything was done manually. Usually i find that hand done craft is so much more appreciated as well.

    Momo is you want to look at more artists that deal with hand done type,Si Scott. He is a illustrator and graphic designer. i am researching him for my next post! :)

    ReplyDelete