Tuesday 9 April 2013

Papergraphics (Tess)

From my previous post looking at illustration typefaces, I came across a technique called 'Paper Quilling', which has been used to create typefaces and is mostly used in graphic design posters today.

Before I researched further into this, I watched a youtube clip 'An Introduction To Quilling' explaining how to paper quill. I would have thought the process took a lot longer to create but the equipment used is definitely a time saver. 

I found this paragraph of information on how paper quilling first started and what is was used for:

"Quilling, the coiling and shaping of narrow paper strips to create a design, has been around for years — hundreds, in fact. During the Renaissance, nuns and monks would roll gold-gilded paper remnants trimmed during the bookmaking process, and use them to decorate religious objects as an alternative to costly gold filigree. Quilling later became a pastime of 18th and 19th century young ladies in England, who would decorate tea caddies and pieces of furniture with paper filigree. The practice crossed the Atlantic with colonists, who added quilling to candle sconces and trays as home decorations."





This is one of my favourite examples, where the paper quilling has only been used in the imagery. These are advertisements of Alpina Yoghurt brand's campaign for "Make a Wish for Women". They were designed by Jitesh Patel with help from Alex Hammond to turn them from soft light quilled designs into 3D designs.



Another one here is for the jewellery brand, Mia by Tanishq. The paper quilling has only been used in the typeface here. I really like how the technique has only been used on the first letter, keeping it simple and easy to read for the viewer. Also, i like the relation of the pattern inside the 'L' to the ring featured at the bottom of the ad. 




In my last example, the paper quilling technique has been used in both the type and the imagery. I think it works really well here, for the book 'Learning to Fly' by Steph Davis. There is enough contrast between the tone and colour of the title to background to read clearly. The paper pattern in the type works well alongside the paper image of the background. 

This entire process really fascinates me. The time spent making each design, the process of making each part work together as a whole, the effect it has on the design by bringing it to life and creating a 3D effect.


Sources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9DOF7zdGg


http://makezine.com/craft/101/quilling/


http://www.ba-reps.com/blog/jitesh-patel-designs-3d-artwork-alpina/

http://www.allthingspaper.net/2013/01/quilled-typography-sabeena-karnik.html

http://www.artyulia.com/index.php/Illustration/PAPERgraphic



Posted by Tess Pyke


1 comment:

  1. This is really cool! It's sad that this process has been around for hundreds of years and I've only heard about it now.
    I think this technique is effective and I wouldn't have guessed that those examples were made of paper if I hadn't read the title of the post.
    I like the last one too, and how they got the colour to blend is amazing.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete