Monday 8 April 2013

Marcel Wanders..Connecting with your audience. By Krupa Patel


Marcel Wanders- Knotted chair.

I came across this designer as I was continuing my research from my previous post. Marcel Wanders is a Dutch designer who believes that it’s a really good thing if your creative and that it is also good to challenge your creativity and try new things that may not be in your area. I linked this to the pod cast about Joseph Churchward because he thought that the most unusual letter and objects were in fact the most interesting ones that could be further developed. In a similar kind of way, Wanders because he wanted his work to be interesting so the viewer would be attracted to it along with understanding each and every aspect and background information of the work. Wander’s work is audience based and he really tries to create an emotional connection with the consumer by making the narrative behind each piece very clear. In the same way I feel that with Churchwards multicultural background, his typography series also create a similar connection.

In 1996, Wanders created a “knotted chair” piece that was made by aramide-braided rope that had a carbon center. He considered this to not be a re-design of a chair but instead a new take on everyday objects.



By reading this I realize that being a “designer” your main aim is to communicate your ideas with an audience, but after further research I think its also important to build a connection with your audience in order for them to gain a better understanding of what we present them. 

Date found: 9th April. 
You can read this article either in Pilot Magazine or on www.constellating.com
Krupa Patel

1 comment:

  1. I strongly agree with Krupa's philosophy - a connection with and understanding of the audience that you are designing for is essential for effective communication.

    I really enjoyed this Knotted Chair created by Marcel Wander. I gained an appreciation for chairs from learning about twentieth century chair designs in our Design Theory lecture. Appropriate to Wanders' intention, I believe the chair is largely taken for granted in most people's lives - except in the design world. I walk past a contemporary furniture store called Forma (on The Strand) every day and I find it intriguing just how much contemporary design extracts from previous designs. I guess it should be expected as we progress from history.

    Check out Frank Gehry's Wiggle Side Chair if you want an endearing glimpse at chair design just over forty years ago. Then take a peek at this twenty-first century lookalike: http://www.untothislast.co.uk/Seating/Spline.html

    Comment by Caroline Konarkowska

    ReplyDelete