Wednesday 3 April 2013

"Fraser Muggeridge" By Krupa Patel

During my research which i found in Eye, the design magazine, i came across and article in the typographic special about a designer called Fraser Muggeridge. Muggeridge is a typographer. He was always drawn to letter when he was younger. His work analyses how he breaks rules, the relationship between space and type and just the general use of space between his works. The article has a few tips and guide line when it comes to design.

The link between Jospesh Churchward and Fraser Muggeridge is that they are both typographers.

Muggeridge belives that history has relevance to new technology and techniques which have strongly influenced his work. He is always trying to scan old type specimens in and handset them in photoshop for his work.

A few key points that are highlighted in this article I think may help us all while were designing.
1. Firstly you need to know the rules in order to break them.
2. Keep things simple and make typographic distinctions.
3. In using different text sizes, move from regular to bold, NOT regular to medium.
4.Explore the choreography of letters on changing pages.
5.Avoid widows and orphans (thats not as bad as it sounds).
-widows and orphans are to do with line ending in a page. Avoiding hyphens etc.

"One of my early aims was to find clients that understood what i was trying to tell them. That was hard because our work is almost 'boring'. Some people really don't get it and say to us 'can't you design it a bit more?'- Fraser Muggeridge.

6. Don't over design.



Found on the 27th March 2013
Eye magazine
Article is about designer Fraser Muggeridge
Krupa Patel


2 comments:

  1. I really like the simplicity of his work and I think that the six points that you have shared are really interesting and relevant to our learning. I cam across an article that has a few more tips. It is more specific to Web design but aspects can still be applied to other areas in design.

    It says that every detail has significance and that what you remove from your design is equally as important as what you add. Has good tips on things such as alignment, white space, hierarchy, colour and balance.
    Here is the link:
    http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/design-theory/less-is-more-fundamentals-of-minimalist-web-design/

    Sarah Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the key points you have identified from the article are all very important went creating a successful design. Fraser Muggeridge has some interesting points of view, I feel as a designer we do need to restrict ourselves not to over design. I think the most effective designs don’t need to be over complicated because the concept works well on it’s own and can me portrayed in a simplified manner.

    Point 6 ‘Don’t over design,’ interested me the most. It sounds quite simple, but there are times when I find myself over designing. It’s hard getting filled with multiple ideas; sometimes I try and incorporate them all. However I know the best thing to do is to discard the ideas until I have one that will work well on it’s own. Looking into it further I came across this case study titled ‘The mistake of over-designing.’ It’s quite interesting and gives some clear examples of over designing. I helped me to understand the importance of restraint in my design.

    Case Study:

    http://northtemple.com/2009/06/29/the-mistake-of-over-design


    One of the examples it talked about was in this video called ‘Designing The Stop Sign.’ It was very interesting and shows in a humorous way I guess what over complicating your design can do. As designers our job is to portray a clear message to the viewers and by over complicating our designs that message can be lost in translation.

    Video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wac3aGn5twc

    In this case study they also had a view key points that I thought important for not over complicating a design:

    1. Don’t over design
    2. Don’t cut and paste
    3. Promote usability and simple, effective design
    4. Don’t try too hard to be everything
    5. One size does not fit all
    6. Uniformity does not always result in success

    - Tash Gate

    ReplyDelete