Tuesday 2 April 2013

Hyper-Photographic Realism - Jason Richards

Kim Aram (Blink magazine, Oct 2012): "Dean West"
Designers: Dean West & Nathan Sawaya

Dean West, 2012. In pieces [photographic series]

What I took away from the Joseph Churchward podcast is how much we rely on digital technology and how that in turn is influencing design itself. I was particularly interested in the references to digital pixelisation in the collaborative series "In Pieces" by photographer Dean West and LEGO sculptor Nathan Sawaya. The wide angles evoke a sense of isolation for the models, a mood and theme which is perhaps reinforced by the out of place LEGO constructions which are subtly introduced throughout the series. To me, there is a beautiful irony in working so hard to seamlessly integrate a digital phony into a scene whilst at the same time shooting it under the same lighting and conditions so it blends in realistically. It makes me question the process, and what other elements may possibly be fooling us in this work, and others. Something interesting to look into could be "photographic trickery".

Nathan Sawaya, 2012. Umbrella [lego construction]

Dean West, 2012. In pieces [photographic series]

1 comment:

  1. I figured out how to comment guys!! This stood out to me as I have looked into the same sort of research for image design. I was wanting achieve a surreal feel for my photos and through researching for examples I noticed the majority of photos I was interested in had to be from the old artists like Man Ray where the effect was achieved in camera and darkroom. I think it may be Leons little influence in my head but I just couldnt respect as many contempary attempts at surrealism because everything was just edited on computer. I wish I had found Dean West at the start of the assignment.

    I had also read into psychology in photography and it said something along the lines that when we see a photo we see a moment in time.. We know for a fact that what we are seeing did happen at one point infront of that camera. Through this age of digital manipulation we may be loosing that.

    Think about it..

    From Aaron :)

    ReplyDelete