Tuesday 9 April 2013

Amazing Disabled Artists - Toni Nefdt


My response to the Joseph Churchward podcast was to research known artists who have minor, or major disabilities but continue to produce internationally recognized work. The podcast lead me to these artists because Joseph Churchward mentions that when he was in Wellington Technical College, he was chasing someone and he ran through a glass door, injuring his hand severely and leaving his fingers in a locked position. When asked if he thought he would lose his hand to the injury, he replies, "Well I thought I might, but I just completed 604 [typefaces] from a sick hand." 

I immediately thought of Chuck Close and his disabilities such as Prosopagnosia (or "face blindness", for the people like myself who couldn't pronounce prosopagnosia), severe dyslexia, and the spinal artery rupture that left him half paralyzed and wheelchair bound, which lead me to discover more artists with these kind of restrictions, both mental and physical conditions.

Click here to view a video of Chuck Close talking about his prosopagnosia and his "life changing" paralysis, along with his coping strategies. 

During further investigation, I came across an artist called Stephen Wiltshire, a world famous architectural artist who has autism savant. His most recent work features an intricate, eighteen foot wide panoramic landscape of the skyline of New York City, after only viewing it once during a 20 min helicopter ride. 



Peter Longstaff is an artist who is missing both arms so he paints with his feet.


Peter Longstaff's Christmas Card painting (I couldn't paint
this as beautifully even if I had 10 arms!  *sad face*)
MichaelMonaco is a quadriplegic who paints beautiful, vibrant and natural pieces of art with his mouth. He is a member of The Mouth and Foot Painters Association.


Through bad fortune, or fate, it is interesting how these artists continue to produce artwork fuelled by their passion. It makes me think about what would happen if I lost a limb, became sick or had to deal with any kind of hardship that disabled me from doing what I've worked hard for. What would you do? Would you give up your profession to pursue a false dream? Would you make things easier for yourself and just do what is expected of you? Or would you continue doing what you do best, despite the radical changes you've encountered?




sources:




No comments:

Post a Comment